- Just registered!

Teams
- Most points

Quiz Of The Day
- Tournament Leader

- Last Tournament Champ

You are here:    Home » Discussion Forums
Search:  

Forum Areas > General Forums > Quiz Authors Meet > Questions That Shouldn T be A...

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1

# 1  
2007-09-05 11:36:26

Questions that shouldn't be asked

One reason I take a trivia test is because I think I might do well. But when the test contains a question about what year something happened, I know I'm going to get it wrong. Who cares what year a movie came out, or a TV show first aired? Give me a break.

When I write a test, I try to keep the questions conceptual.

On the other hand, I guess that's why they call it trivia.

# 2  
2007-09-05 13:31:13

RE: Questions that shouldn't be asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbeckwith
One reason I take a trivia test is because I think I might do well. But when the test contains a question about what year something happened, I know I'm going to get it wrong. Who cares what year a movie came out, or a TV show first aired? Give me a break.

Matt, lots of people do not care when a television show aired or when a movie came out. I , on the other hand am one person who does care, if I didn't I would not make that two of my questions on EVERY ONE of my QUIZZES that pertain to television programs. I figure if you know the date that the television show came on, maybe that will make you think of other things that were going on in the world in the same year. For example. What year did the television show " Chips and Three's Company" first hit the airwaves. Answer -1977. Now, I am thinking about "The Son Of Sam David Berkowitz, Reggie Jackson hitting 3 home runs in the World Series and Elvis Presley dying at 42 years old. So what might be trivial to you, just may be important to others.

# 3  
2007-09-05 20:37:36

Unfair Questions

One may not like questions regarding dates - that's a personal preference.

On the other hand, some questions out there are just flat unfair. For example, a question like "How many times was the F word used in Pulp Fiction?" How in the world would I know how many times this expletive was used.... Tarrantino probably doesn't know. Or "What did Harry Potter have for breakfast before his fifth Quidditch match?" Give me a break ... you could have read the book twenty times and not gotten the question right.

To me, a fair question captures some of the essence of the topic. A date is relevant since it is the time in history in which the topic took place. So, the "Three's Company" premier date (1977) is definitely a integral part of the topic at hand. What color ascot Mr. Furley wore at the Regal Beagle in the first episode of the fourth season .... who would know? and more importantly, who would care?

# 4  
2007-09-08 08:07:08

RE: Questions that shouldn't be asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbeckwith

Some people are film and tv junkies like myself! We design quizzes around our knowledge and the knowledge base of ohter like us! The simple fact is that we find dates to be pertinent information! It is a base question that can lead to more questions and information! If it is done as a multiple choice question then it should not be considered hard! I think that when I take a tv or film related quiz that the questions about date are important and popular! look at how many of these quizzes have been written by sanitation using this format and he does not have a lack of people taking his quizzes! I on the other hand like my quizzes HARDER and sometimes adding a date question does just that!

Just my thoughts!
Phreekshow

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1

p.1   |   

Conditions of Use   |   Privacy policy   |   Disclaimer   |   Copyright    © 2005-2017 123facts.com. All Rights Reserved.