- Last Tournament Champ

You are here:    Home » Discussion Forums
Search:  

Forum Areas > General Forums > Quiz Authors Meet > Last Name Only

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1

# 1  
2008-05-21 17:36:09

Last name only ?

I received an email from a member stating they got a question wrong on my quiz because they put first and last name for a "fill in the blank" question, but it should have been answered with a last name only. There is a question hint stating "last name only", but they do get missed. I've missed them myself because you don't think you need a hint if you already know the answer.
Is it within the realm of possibility to make it mandatory one way or the other ? What's everyone's take on this ? Do you ALWAYS do last and first names, or last names only ? Thanks !!!!
JSG

# 2  
2008-05-23 14:44:38

RE: Last name only ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy
I received an email from a member stating they got a question wrong on my quiz because they put first and last name for a "fill in the blank" question, but it should have been answered with a last name only. There is a question hint stating "last name only", but they do get missed. I've missed them myself because you don't think you need a hint if you already know the answer.
Is it within the realm of possibility to make it mandatory one way or the other ? What's everyone's take on this ? Do you ALWAYS do last and first names, or last names only ? Thanks !!!!
JSG

I suggest including the requirement inside the question, i.e. "Provide the last name of the person who....". That way the requirement won't get overlooked. Again, I would like to underscore the importance of NOT using Fill in the Blank questions. Yes, some rare cases do require the FITB format (brain teasers for example), but for the most part, please refrain from using them.

Regards,
esprit

# 3  
2008-05-24 00:58:20

When I use a fill-in-the-blank, even if the hint is last name only, I will put the first and last name on the acceptable answer line. I used Daniel Day-Lewis
on a quiz and under acceptable answers I used Daniel Day Lewis, line one and Daniel Day-Lewis line 2. I have missed questions because I knew the answer and didn\'t look at the hint-and I hate that-but it\'s my fault for not reading the hint.

# 4  
2008-05-24 07:15:57

This is why certain questions do in fact have HINTS

If you click on the orange bubble and it says " last name only", well then I believe that it is "last name only". It seems self explanatory, we are letting them know that before they answer this question you better click on the bubble . If they do not choose to do that , then it is on them. It has happened to me plenty of times, as I am sure it has happened to lots of people that has taken a plethora of quizzes on here over the years. Bottom line is, if there is a hint and the hint tells you to do something, well then do it and we wouldn't have this problem. For instance---------- This legendary guitarist played at Woodstock in 1969. _ _ _ _ Hendrix. He happens to spell his name different than most Jimmy's. If I give you a hint and say starts with a J and it has 4 letters and you put in Jimmy, well then I am sorry, you are wrong. There is no excuse for that. It said "4 letters". The answer would be Jimi. Once again, I must emphasize to all quiz takers, if there is a hint, click on the bubble. It would avoid all of this. Thanks.

# 5  
2008-05-31 09:24:34

I fall for this all the time! I have ADD and it is all about speeding through quizzes. I have done complete quizzes answering full names when only last names were required and got every answer wrong! That is my own fault and I have to be more careful as does anyone else who takes the quizzes!

# 6  
2008-06-03 21:32:44

Just Say "No" to fill in the blanks

I like them on occasion - maybe one or two questions out of 10, but they generally are more frustrating than fun. There's nothing worse than spending ten brain bursting minutes trying to think of Mary Richards' best friend's last name, finally remembering it, and typing in "Morganstern".... only to get it wrong because it's spelled "Morgenstern"! Ouch.

After all, it's an entertainment quiz not a spelling quiz. Sure, I missed it fair and square, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating. Fill in the blanks have their place, and they can make a quiz more challenging.... but (in my humble opinion) should be used sparingly.

# 7  
2008-07-05 22:25:40

Agree with you Gilligan

I'm a terrible speller, especially when it comes to names! Those are the types of questions that are better formatted in a multiple choice question preferably. Esprit's suggestion of the question layout is a wonderful suggestion too.

# 8  
2008-07-09 08:03:07

RE: Agree with you Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4dreams
I'm a terrible speller, especially when it comes to names! Those are the types of questions that are better formatted in a multiple choice question preferably. Esprit's suggestion of the question layout is a wonderful suggestion too.

You're a terrible speller ? In your profession ? I am flabbergasted to say the least .

# 9  
2008-07-14 12:50:17

RE: RE: Agree with you Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitation
You're a terrible speller ? In your profession ? I am flabbergasted to say the least .

Ya don't have to be a good speller to be a bellydancer! Wink

# 10  
2008-07-15 03:08:20

I think of the hint button as an extra clue if you are stuck. It you want someone to use just last name or first and last name it should be written in the main introduction. If the answer is John Brown and you answer John Brown but the hint says last name only and you miss the question-that not a hint-that's a trick question. To me, looking at the hint shouldn't be a requirement. If it's a requirement, it shoud be in the main body of the question. Just my very humble opinion.
Thanks
Millie

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1

p.1   |   

Conditions of Use   |   Privacy policy   |   Disclaimer   |   Copyright    © 2005-2017 123facts.com. All Rights Reserved.